Sunday, May 5, 2013

Scriptural Beginnings of Baptism


The scriptural beginnings of Baptism are mostly found in the New Testament, however some are found in the Old Testament. First, a reference to baptism was made in the Old Testament in the book of Genesis when the Bible explains the sanctity of circumcision. In the book of Psalms, Psalm 51 says, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me
from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me”.


This is a clear scriptural beginning of Baptism because the book of Psalms says “wash away all my iniquity” which means baptism. Furthermore, the most clear first reference to baptism in the New Testament comes in the Gospel of Matthew when John the Baptist baptizes the followers of the coming Christ. The Gospel says,  “John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were
baptised by him in the Jordan River”. 




This Biblical passage clearly shows that Baptism has many scriptural beginnings and continues through the teachings of Christ up until his Resurrection. After the death and resurrection, members of the Church continued this tradition, which has many roots in Sacred Scripture.

-atohme

No comments:

Post a Comment